People decide to change their name for a variety of reasons. You may be unhappy with your current name, be getting divorced or separated or you may wish to have the same surname as your child.

We can prepare a Change of Name Deed and explain the legal implications of this. This will enable you to make changes to your documents such as passport, driving licence and medical records. A Change of Name Deed does not allow you to change the name on your birth certificate.

If you wish to change your child’s name, the rules relating to this are more complex and will depend upon a number of issues and may require the consent of the other parent. We can give you specialist advice in this respect.